Monday, June 28, 2010

School Time: Week 3

Another week down means another post about our school time this past week! This week went much better planning wise. I was able to get Parker's stuff together every evening without much thought which makes for a much easier "school" day.

I also ordered a couple books


and a
learning calendar (which I really like).


We had been using
this bible


and while I like it, it doesn't have quite enough detail for Parker's age. Its great for younger kids that won't sit still for long because there are only a couple of sentences per page but Parker needs a bit more story to keep his interest. I had seen several blogs go on and on about how great the
Jesus Storybook Bible is and they were RIGHT! I LOVE this bible! It reads just like any other children's book would and has beautiful illustrations. It also references how each Bible story ties into Jesus's life. If you don't have a children's bible for your preschooler I highly recommend it! The ABC Bible Verses is the book Parker's preschool program is formed from and I really like the stories in it. Each explains the corresponding bible verse in a very child friendly way without watering it down. I think its helping Parker understand what some of his memory verses really mean instead of being just words he has to memorize.

Also, I realized this week I've never posted a picture of our school board I made. Its pretty much exactly like the board over at
1+1+1 but without the pocket on the front (sorry for how dark the picture is, it was pretty cloudy when I took it).


Now onto our school stuff:
Letter: Hh
Number: 3
Color: Blue
Sight Word: "and"
Bible Verse: "Honor your Father and you Mother." Exodus 20:12
Bible Story: The 10 Commandments

I was finally brave enough to take some pictures of Parker doing a little cutting. I got the practice cutting sheet
here and while I like it, I think it was a little too advanced for Parker's current cutting skills.



He did much better when cutting his memory verse so I may make a couple cutting sheets of my own with simpler lines.

He also worked on stringing some pasta on a pipe cleaner (this was actually one of Carter's trays but Parker begged to do it and Carter wasn't too interested so I let him).



Here he's working on his 1:1 counting the
Pom Pom Number cards.


I gave him
this sheet to work on while I did a little sewing one afternoon. I thought he'd have no problem with it considering he'd done one like it before so I left him to it. When he said he was all done I turned around and he'd stuck all the letters onto the little "h" side, oops. After I told him what he was suppose to do he got aggravated and wanted to go onto something else which was just fine. We did come back to it later on in the week and he fixed with little help. Also, excuse my son's dirty leg! I promise we do give baths around here...sometimes ;)


I've been meaning to post the
Now I Know My ABC's letters we've been making but I keep forgetting to take a picture of them before we take the book back to the library, that is until now!


Carter's working on spooning. He's worked on this one before but this week he was actually able to get a couple on his spoon all by himself.



He also worked with the Monkeys in a Barrel. He had a pretty hard time getting them to hang by himself so he didn't spend very much time with these.


Well, I think that about sums it up! I'm hoping to do a Week in Rewind post later today so be on the look out for it!

No comments: